Examples of adjustments by service providers
New page Examples of adjustments and discrimination: service providers, including material shifted from the ‘For businesses’ section of this website, and taking in examples from new STAMMA resources for service providers.
Major update of Transport page, including trains, buses, ships and air travel.
A woman who stammers was visiting her granddaughter in hospital. She stammered when saying her granddaughter’s name to the senior staff nurse, who burst out laughing.
Stammering Awareness Day 2023
22nd October is International Stammering Awareness Day. STAMMA (British Stammering Association) is encouraging people to write to their GPs, and has published a video and guidance for healthcare providers. It has also published a “Don’t be a knob” video for service providers more generally. More: Stammering Awareness Day 2023.
Examples of jobs
- Stammering in a career that’s all about talking (stamma.org), Oct 2023 – lobbyist and media spokesperson
- “By the way, I have a stammer” (stamma.org), Oct 2023 – nurse and university lecturer
- Dr Rosena-Allin Khan (stamma.org), Sept 2023 – Labour MP and medical doctor. Also X (Twitter) video, Oct 2023.
- I speak about 100mph. My writing style is the same (stamma.org), Aug 2023 – actor, stand-up comedian and author
- Reinventing myself and not letting fear control me (stamma.org), June 2023 – London Candy Company in New York
- Serving in the police force and stammering (stamma.org), June 2023
- From holiday rep to travel industry leader (stamma.org), April 2023 – CEO of a leading travel business.
- Previous updates Website updates July to August 2023.