This page gives examples of people who stammer doing various jobs. I have taken particularly people you can read about on the internet in relation to the job, so that you can find out more.
This page shows only examples of jobs and should not be taken as any kind of representative sample. Certainly don’t assume that there isn’t someone who stammers doing some job because it isn’t mentioned here. There almost certainly is. It’s probably just that I don’t know of it appearing on the internet yet. Do let me know of anyone you think should be included, including any links for them (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Also look at ‘Stambassadors’ (actionforstammeringchildren.org) which has videos by people who stammer in different jobs.
- Iain Wilkie, former senior partner at EY (Ernst & Young):
- I am enjoying life (stamma.org), 2020
- Getting to grips with the stammer (archive of stammering.org), 2016
- Raising Stammering Awareness at RBS (archive of stammering.org), 2015 – senior audit manager at bank.
Air traffic controller
Note: check CAA Medical standards (caa.co.uk) which refer to speech disorders.
- BSA website article on Air traffic controlling with a stammer (archive of stammering.org), 1996
- Also see Pilot below.
- Captain J. Lang MBE, Defence Medical Academy (www.scottishstammeringnetwork.org), 2020
- Let’s talk about health (stamma.org), 2020 – nurse in the army
- Nothing was going to stop me being a soldier (stamma.org), 2020
- My fight To remove the ‘stammer stigma’ in the armed forces (forces.net), 2018
- Commissioning with a stammer (archive of stammering.org), 2015
- Army focus on support for stammering (archive of stammering.org), 2014
- The Army and my stammer (archive of stammering.org), 2013
- Stuttering in the Coast Guard (Ep. 413), stuttertalk.com, 2013
- Stuttering in the military with Captain Jody Fuller (Ep. 299), stuttertalk.com, 2011. Also Stuttering in the military and doing comedy (Ep. 111), Stuttering is Cool, 2011.
- Raising stammering awareness at RBS (archive of stammering.org), 2015 – senior audit manager at bank.
- Brings her joy – Episode 78 (stutterrockstar.com), 2012 – working in a Bank of America call centre
- Coping with phone fear in a call centre (archive of stammering.org), 2004
- Never off the phone (archive of stammering.org), 2008 – taking benefit claims over the phone.
- Stuttering and faith with Father Scott E. McCue (Ep. 431), stuttertalk.com 2013, including preparing for a sermon as a person who stutters, professional challenges related to stuttering
- Stuttering clergy spread the word (huffingtonpost.com), 2012
- No ordinary ordination (archive of stammering.org), 1998.
- Entering the dragon’s mouth (stamma.org), 2019 – counsellor
- Hold their hearts – Episode 112 (stutterrockstar.com), 2013 – job coach at an agency that supports people with developmental disabilities.
- Graduate software engineer (YouTube video), 2018 from Stambassadors
- Advice from a veteran of the high tech industry from Gunars Neiders, systems engineer/computer programmer at the Boeing Company and a registered counsellor, Washington. On ISAD Online Conference 2000. Includes link to discussion
- Running a computer business (archive of stammering.org), 2010.
- My journey to becoming ‘The Stammering Communicator’ (stamma.org), 2020 – sales and marketing consultant, debbiejollie.com.
- A stammering odyssey (stamma.org), 2020 – customer service in banking
- I believe wholeheartedly in acceptance and stammering pride (stamma.org), 2020 – on the frontline in library: “There were many challenging customers but if you listened to them,… you could usually send them away relatively happy. Hopefully I gave them a positive image of stammering.”
- Tales from the shopfloor (stamma.org) 2019 – retail and bar work
- Speaking as a librarian (archive of stammering.org), 2011, including giving lectures to students
- Stammering at the enquiry desk (archive of stammering.org), 2009 – by an archivist
- Fight or flight – Episode 76 (stutterrockstar.com), 2012 – massage therapist
- Also see above Call centre and below Sales.
- Courtesy car driver: You cannot be serious (archive of stammering.org), 2014 – a tennis fan landed a job as a courtesy car driver at the Wimbledon Championships
- Keeping the wheels on (archive of stammering.org), 2007 – race mechanic
- Driving instructor at last (archive of stammering.org), 2005
- W v British School of Motoring, 2002 – an employment tribunal held it could not consider the substance of a claim to qualify and obtain a franchise with BSM.
- Stammering doesn’t define my capability as a firefighter (stamma.org), 2020, in the US – “I learned how my stutter would be gone in dangerous environments, yet talking in normal situations was much more difficult.”
- I could roar (stamma.org), 2019
- Case in the Ohio courts, 1993 (i.e. in the United States) – held that a person who stuttered at interview but could do the job of a firefighter had been unlawfully discriminated against. (Another case in 2020: Aspiring firefighter blocked by stutter wins settlement from City of Milwaukee (eu.jsonline.com), 2020.)
- Louis Roden – human resources executive in Georgia on ISAD Online Conference 2000. Includes link to discussion.
- Thriving as a sportswriter in the face of adversity (isad.isastutter.org) – ISAD Online Conference, 2020
- Deputy head of international news at the Guardian (YouTube video), 2018, from Stambassadors
- Facing stuttering and not giving up with Kelly Snow (381), stuttertalk.com, 2013 – sportswriter
- Surprise! You’re on the air! (stutteringiscool.com), 2012 – magazine journalist finds himself facing a radio microphone
- The rules for mastering a stammer (archive of stammering.org), 2007 – editor of GQ magazine
- See also broadcaster.
- David Goodin: ‘Highly respected’ Ipswich Crown Court judge retires (ipswichstar.co.uk), 2020, Crown Court judge and previously solicitor advocate
- Stammering/stuttering and the potential for prejudice and discrimination in the workplace (medium.com), 2020 – lawyer was told by one interviewer they could never put someone who spoke like that in front of clients, but a partner where he later worked said if anyone made an issue of his speech to simply tell them to “f*** off”
- The wonder of life (stamma.org), 2020 – barrister and judge
- “A partner told me my stutter lost us work” (lawgazette.co.uk), 2020, but worked successfully at another firm
- Intellectual property lawyer (YouTube video), 2019, from Stambassadors
- Corporate lawyer (YouTube video), 2019, from Stambassadors
- Corporate lawyer (YouTube video), 2018, from Stambassadors
- Criminal court solicitor, Scotland: Stand up to your stammer (lawscot.org.uk), 2017
- The lawyer’s speech: Stutter turns out to be ‘great gift’ (bizjournals.com), 2011 – employment litigator, including jury trials, in United States
- David M. Steiner, Assistant Corporation Counsel with the New York City Law Department. On ISAD Online Conference 2000. Includes link to discussion
- At the crossroads (archive of stammering.org), 2010 – deciding whether to be solicitor or barrister
- Case on fitness to practise as a barrister, 2010 – not on a stammer, but aphasia following a stroke. A barrister with a communication impairment was found fit to practise
See below Teacher / Lecturer.
- Jack Welch: StutterTalk podcast Episode 104, 2013 – former Chairman and CEO of GE
- Keep On Keeping On – Episode 99 (stuttertalk.com), 2013 – office manager in retail showroom
- HR director at BBC (YouTube video), 2018, from Stambassadors
- Managing change (archive of stammering.org), 2016 – change management professional
- Telling your managing director about stammering (archive of stammering.org), 2004 – company director
- Content wins more respect than style (archive of stammering.org), 1996 – Chief Executive of pension fund.
Medical (eg doctor, nurse, vet)
See also NHS Stammering Network whose website includes personal stories of NHS staff.
- I can be there for my patients regardless of my blocks (stamma.org), April 2021
- Becoming a doctor with a stammer (bma.org.uk), Feb 2021
- Doctor (pulmonologist): My story of stammering & social anxiety (stamma.org), January 2021
- Becoming a nurse with a stammer (stamma.org), 2020
- Let’s talk about health (stamma.org), 2020 – nurse in the army
- The turning point that made me face my fear (stamma.org), 2020 – general practitioner in Ethiopia
- Be determined to be yourself (radiopublic.com), 2020: dentist
- Studying medicine with a stammer (blogs.bmj.com), 2019 – by a third year medical student
- Stuttertalk podcast Episode 489, 2015, Patrick Campbell, medical student
- Can I get a witness? – Episode 108 (stutterrockstar.com), 2013 – registered nurse
- Account by Karen Lewis, a registered nurse in Ohio, on ISAD Online Conference 2000. Includes link to discussion
- StutterTalk podcast Episode 274, 2011 – discussion of being a (male) registered nurse who stutters
- Vet – Lee Reeves, Texas. On ISAD Online Conference 2000. Includes link to discussion
- Not just an event – Episode 97 (stutterrockstar.com), 2013 – veterinary assistant
- One day, Eric woke up and found that words failed him (archive of stammering.org), 2002 – nurse
- Clinical psychologist, NHS (YouTube video), 2019, from Stambassadors
- Physiotherapist and RAF reservist (YouTube video), 2018, from Stambassadors
- See also below Speech and language therapist.
- Tech startup founder: Why stammering makes me a better leader (stamma.org), 2021
- I cannot imagine life without my stammer (stamma.org), 2020 – garden designer
- When stuttering is a gift with Kevin Hartford (Ep. 439), on stuttertalk.com, 2014 – Kevin Hartford joins Peter Reitzes to discuss how stuttering prevented him from being hired for jobs, but also propelled him to start his own small business and go on to achieve great success
- Running a computer business (archive of stammering.org), 2010
- Minding your own business (archive of stammering.org), 2006. Three people who started their own business.
Performing and broadcasting
- Emily Blunt:
- James Earl Jones (dailymail.co.uk), 2010 – the voice of Darth Vadar, and Mufasa in The Lion King. Also James Earl Jones (stutteringhelp.org)Lights! Cameras! Improv (stutteringiscool.com), 2013 – filmmaker and improv actor
- Three tough cookies – Episode 101 (stutterrockstar.com), 2013 – three women who stutter who have all recently made their acting debuts
- I’m gonna fight – Episode 98 (stutterrockstar.com), 2013 – seeking to get into musical theatre
- Getting to that place – Episode 79 (stutterrockstar.com), 2012
- Nicholas Brendon (cnn.com), 2003 – was Xander in Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- StutterTalk Episode 130 – Austin Pendleton talks about stammering and acting. 2009
- An actor’s life (archive of stammering.org), 2008
- Performing arts student Nye Russell-Thompson on his one-man play about stammering: ‘Just a few words’ (archive of stammering.org), 2014.
- Felicity Baker, BBC news journalist:
- BBC documentary ‘I Can’t Say My Name: Stammering in the Spotlight’ (BBC iPlayer), 10th March 2021, and a Stamma exclusive interview with Felicity Baker and Sophie Raworth (stamma.org) on reactions to their documentary, 12th March 2021
- TV report by her Stammering: ‘I thought it made me a failure’ (bbc.co.uk), Jan 2021
- article Stammering makes the headlines (stamma.org), Jan 2021
- Radio presenter: My stammer is now no worse than a hiccup: Radio 5 Live’s Shelagh Fogarty on how she beat the condition that would have ruined her career (dailymail.co.uk), 2011
- Radio DJ: Rising through the airwaves (archive of stammering.org), 2015
- My name is Jackie Bird, newsreader and lifelong stammerer – 2011, Daily Record. Also Jackie Bird (scottishstammeringnetwork.org), 2020
- John Stossel, former co-anchor on ABC News: StutterTalk podcast, Episode 92, 2009
- Live on air and loving it (archive of stammering.org), 2002
- See also journalist.
- Ewan McPherson (scottishstammeringnetwork.org), 2020
- An unusual heckler (stamma.org), 2019 – Aidan Greene
- Nina G, www.ninagcomedian.com:
- podcast Celebrating 10 Years of Comedy with Nina G (Ep. 671) (stuttertalk.com), 2020
- video Nina G Stutterer Interrupted (YouTube), 2019 – talking about her book Stutterer interrupted
- video Nina G and Comedians with Disabilities Act (YouTube), 2012
- podcast She’s Got Talent – Episode 83 (stutterrockstar.com), 2012
- Drew Lynch: The inspiring story of Drew Lynch, the comedian who stutters (thinkingslimmer.com), 2018, and Drew Lynch stand-up video (YouTube), 2019
- No offence intended (archive of stammering.org), 2013 – Chris Douce. 2013
- Mabel Slattery (YouTube video), 2012. A Google search for Mabel Slattery will bring up more
- Daniel Kitson (telegraph.co.uk), 2002 – comedian, won the Perrier Award
- ‘Shining a light on stuttering’ by Prof. Dale Williams and Jaik Campbell (archive of stammering.org), 2016 – Jaik is a stand-up comedian.
Singers & musicians
- Stormzy: Grime artist Stormzy receives support from followers after tweeting that he stammers (stamma.org), 2020
- Kendrick Lamar (stutteringhelp.org) – rapper
- Jazz musician: Learning to live with my stammer (stamma.org), Feb 2021
- Allie Meek: Finding my freedom (stamma.org), 2020
- My song ‘So what?’ (stamma.org) – Katri Somerjoki, 2019
- Big Heath: Man who battled stammer becomes rapper thanks to help of Kanye West (stories.swns.com), 2016
- Carly Simon (YouTube), 2016
- Scroobius Pip – podcast on StutterTalk.com, Episode 199, 2010
- Mell Tillis (stuttertalk.com), 2009
- Scatman John (Stuttering Homepage), 1995
- Elvis Presley (stutteringhelp.org).
- Confidence: a stammer blow (stamma.org), 2020 – running podcast and YouTube channel.
See Human Resources above.
Note: check CAA Medical standards (caa.co.uk) which refer to speech disorders.
- Flight instructor’s severe stutter disappears when he flies (flyingmag.com), 2017. Also YouTube video
- The sky’s the limit for pilot who overcame stuttering to fly (azcentral.com), 2016
- See also air traffic controller above.
- Stuttering and Christianity with Craig Curry (Ep. 435), stuttertalk.com, 2014, includes discussion of working in US law enforcement
- Detective: he felt the stutter helped by disarming suspects and humanising him, but was complaining about a move to road patrol: Stuttering cop (YouTube), 2011. About the same officer: Stuttertalk.com, 2013
- Better late than never (stamma.org), 2020, administrator in police.
- Joe Biden, US President 2021- and Vice President 2009-2017:
- Biden’s inauguration sparks media interest (stamma.org), Jan 2021, with links to stammering-related coverage,
- How Joe Biden overcame his stutter to fulfil the American Dream (gq-magazine.co.uk) Jan 2021,
- Joe Biden: a president with a stammer (stamma.org) 2020,
- Video: Joe Biden & Emily Blunt discuss stammering (stamma.org) 2020,
- Biden shares vulnerable story on how he overcame stuttering (CNN, YouTube) 2020,
- Joe Biden (stutteringhelp.org),
- Joe Biden at Stuttering Gala (YouTube) and Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, 2008
- Ed Balls, former UK Secretary of State for Children, Schools and Families, former Shadow Chancellor:
- Interview with Baroness Whitaker (stamma.org), 2019 – life peer in the House of Lords
- Parliamentary assistant: The parliamentary assistant (stamma.org), 2019, and BBC video ‘Your stammer shouldn’t hold you back’ (bbc.co.uk), 2019
- Creigh Deeds (US), see Campaign Blasts Stuttering YouTube Attack As ‘Cheap Shot’ (foxnews.com), 2009
- Aneurin Bevan had a stammer. Many say Winston Churchill did as well (eg The Stuttering Foundation) though this is disputed (winstonchurchill.org). These two politicians were considered the greatest orators in the British post-War parliament.
- Stammering gives me an edge (stamma.org), 2019 – female telecommunications engineer in the Middle East.
- See above acting/ performing.
- Ann van der Berg, 2000 – sales representative in South Africa
- Sales assistant: see Job talk (stamma.org), 2010. “[My manager] once told me I was the best sales assistant she’d ever met! Praise indeed! This was partly due to the fact that I also regularly achieved the highest weekly sales in the team”.
- Podcast: Disability in the earth system sciences, Part 1 (anchor.fm), 2020, with scientist at the British Antarctic Survey
- Finding the community – Episode 114 (on stutterrockstar.com), 2014 – research intern working as primate behaviour monitor
- Made for the job – decoding the human genome is no obstacle with a stammer (archive of stammering.org), 2001
- Isaac Newton and Charles Darwin are said to have had stammers – two of the greatest scientists of all time. Similarly Robert Boyle and Joseph Priestley.
Speech and language therapist
- Speech and language therapist (YouTube video), 2018, from Stambassadors
- People who stutter changing careers to become SLPs – on the ISAD Online Conference 1999
- Carolyn Cheasman (guardian.co.uk), 2008, at City Lit, London
- Podcast with Lori Melnitsky, a US speech language pathologist, on ‘Making Room for the Stuttering’, 2010
- Speech and language therapy student: ‘Stammering can’t stop me’ (stamma.org), 2019.
- Mark Jones, rugby player: Stammer: Former Wales rugby player ‘hated’ himself (bbc.co.uk), March 2021, Finding Mark Jones, the angry Wales hardman whose self-loathing drove him to acts of violence (walesonline.co.uk), January 2021
- Kelly Brown, rugby player:
- How two elite sportsmen learned to live with a stammer (bbc.co.uk), August 2021
- New patron: Rugby star Kelly Brown (stamma.org) including video, 2020,
- Warrior talk (archive of stammering.org), 2008
- Leroy Cudjoe: The wing’s speech: How Giant came to terms with his stammer (independent.co.uk), 2011, rugby player
- Brandon Shell, American football:
- Tiger Woods (stutteringhelp.org) – golfer.
Teacher / lecturer /education
- The day my mindset changed (stamma.org), July 2021
- You may well ask why would I want to lecture! (stamma.org), 2020
- Teaching with a stutter (isad.isastutter.org) – ISAD Online Conference, 2020
- Train your chair (stamma.org), 2020 – university lecturer
- The wonder of life (stamma.org), 2020 – teacher and professor
- Stamma trustee wins top teaching award (stamma.org), 2019 – maths teacher Abed Ahmed was crowned New Teacher of the Year. Also:
- Classroom music teacher: An impossible career? (stamma.org), 2019
- Foreign language teacher (YouTube video), 2018, from Stambassadors
- Science teacher (YouTube video), 2018, from Stambassadors
- Student Services Manager at a sixth form: ‘Work in education, it would be fun’, they said…and it is (stamma.org), 2019
- Mama with a stammer (archive of stammering.org), 2016 – teacher
- Lessons on stuttering – Episode 113 (stutterrockstar.com), 2014 – elementary teacher and Girl Scout leader
- Teachable moments – Episode 86 (stutterrockstar.com), 2012 – teacher
- Working with primary children (archive of stammering.org), 2010 – teaching assistant
- The case of the stuttering lecturer (stamma.org), 2009 – can stammering actually help you lecture? Grant Meredith was voted top lecturer at his university and 14th in Australia. Also Grant Meredith (stutterrockstar podcast), 2012, and Walking into the Coliseum: Another day at the office (Stuttering Homepage), 2011
- Once more into the deep (archive of stammering.org), 2009 – teacher at school for young people with behavioural issues
- Let’s talk about my stammer (TES website), 2008 – five teachers who stammer
- Beyond the imperfections (archive of stammering.org), 2008 – trainee teacher
- Right – I’ll prove them wrong! (archive of stammering.org), 2006 – professor in public health
- Stammering in law lectures (archive of stammering.org), 2000
- Also driving instructor under Driving, and flight instructor under Pilot.
Trade union official
- It will never hold me back (stamma.org), 2019
- Negotiating with a stammer (archive of stammering.org), 2011 – shop steward, then senior trade union jobs.
- Is being creative related to my stammer?, June 2021 – artist, writer and blogger
- Gareth Cowlin, cartoonist and lecturer: podcast Comic books about stuttering (stutteringiscool.com), 2018
- Painted stories (archive of stammering.org), 2017 – Mikey Cuddihy, artist and author.
- Margaret Drabble, author: In Conversation: Margaret Drabble & David Mitchell (stamma.org), video 2020, Public speech and public silence (archive of stammering.org), 2001/2
- David Mitchell, author (not the comedian):
- In Conversation: Margaret Drabble & David Mitchell (stamma.org), video 2020,
- Black Swan Green revisited (archive of stammering.org) 2011 (Black Swan Green is David Mitchell’s semi-autobiographical novel about a teenager who stammers),
- Let me speak (archive of stammering.org) 2006,
- My stammer is a secret informant (archive of stammering.org), interview, 2006
- Maggie O’Farrell, author: The monster in my mouth: Maggie O’Farrell on fighting her stammer (theguardian.com) 2013
- Owen Sheers, poet: One to one with Owen Sheers (stamma.org), video 2021
- Zaffar Kunial, poet: One to one with poet Zaffar Kunial (stamma.org), video 2021
- “If I can’t finish a word, how the hell will I finish life?” (archive of stammering.org), 2014 – performance poet
- Writer’s blocks (archive of stammering.org), 2013 – journalist and novelist
- Somerset Maugham (stutteringhelp.org), author (d.1965)
- Arnold Bennett (communityis.com), novelist (d.1931)
- Lewis Carroll (stutteringhelp.org), The Curious Life of Lewis Carroll (stutteringhelp.org), author of Alice in Wonderland (d.1898).
- See also above Journalist.