Disability discrimination links
These are links on disability discrimination law in the UK and internationally, with particular reference to stammering.
Further links are on the relevant pages on this site, for example Employment links, Guidance and Codes of Practice, and Sources of Help and Advice. I am not responsible for the content of external internet sites - and see generally disclaimer.
UK official bodies
UK official bodies
- British Stammering Association - Employment page, including its booklets for people who stammer and employers, articles by people who stammer doing various jobs, visit to the Scottish Parliament to give evidence to Equal Opportunities Inquiry (2005), and other employment-related materials on the site. Also on the BSA website: Teenagers and young adults: University.
- www.equalitytalk.org.uk - new website published April 2012, on how Equality Act 2010 applies to adults with speech, language and communication needs, including stammering, aphasia etc.
- The two ticks scheme - employers who use the disability symbol make various commitments, including a guaranteed interview for disabled people who meet the minimum criteria for the job vacancy. (See on my website, with further links Guaranteed interview scheme.)
- Business Disability Forum - previously called the Employers Forum on Disability (and Northern Ireland has Employers for Disability NI)
- On the issue of stammering being seen as a disability, and the social model:
- Training providers for organisations - this takes you to my page for businesses, which has links to UK training providers who focus on stammering and other communication disabilities.
- Disability-Discrimination.com - the companion website to Spencer Keen and Richard Oulton's book 'Disability Discrimination in Employment' (2009). Site includes very useful case law databases, and links to articles under 'Resources / Articles'.
- Discrimination Law Association - for practitioners and others
- Institute of Equality and Diversity Practitioners - professional body of equality, diversity and human rights practitioners. Launched in January 2009.
- Disability Rights Watch UK - aims to monitor the UK's performance in implementing the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities by collecting evidence about the experiences of disabled people in the UK. You can submit your own story...
- The Disability Archive UK - valuable archive of articles hosted by the Centre for Disability Studies, University of Leeds.
- United States
- Disability or Identity?: Stuttering, Employment Discrimination, and the Right to Speak Differently at Work. Jared Gilman. Brooklyn Law Review Volume 77, Issue 3. Spring 2012. Starts on p.317 of the pdf.
- www.stutterlaw.com - William Parry's website on stuttering and the law, but last I heard this is no longer being updated.
- The Americans with Disabilities Act: How it relates to stuttering - includes amendments from January 2009. On the American Institute for Stuttering blog.
- We're from the government and we're here to help! Stuttering and working in the US federal government (link to Stuttering Homepage) - on the Schedule A Hiring authority, including threaded discussion. 2012.
- Accomodation ideas for stuttering - from 'JAN', the Job Accomodation Network
- Stuttering as a Disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act by William Parry.
- Is Stuttering a Disability Covered Under the Protection of the ADA? - Illinois ADA Project
- US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Their website includes the Digest Of Equal Employment Opportunity Law, Volume XIII, No. 2 which includes a case on stuttering - scroll down to the heading 'Pattern of Discrimination found in Agency's Personnel Practices'
- Stuttering: Answers for Employers, from the Stuttering Foundation of America but with much that is useful in the UK and elsewhere
- Americans with Disabilities Act Links and Document Center - links on the ADA
- Disability Rights Education and Defense Fund (DREDF) - a US law and policy center dedicated to protecting and advancing the civil rights of people with disabilities.
- Stutterer Speaks Up in Class; His Professor Says Keep Quiet - New York Times, 10/10/2011.
- United States: California Adopts New Disability Discrimination Regulations(link to mondaq.com) - an example of State discrimination legislation. February 2013. Another example is the New York law in Columbus v Liebhart.
- (US cases on my website: Columbus v Liebhart and Hartman v National Board of Medical Examiners).
Homepage | Equality Act in outline | Meaning of "disability" | Employment | Goods and services | Education | Human Rights Act | Proposed changes | Social security | Advice | Links | What's new | Site index | Privacy (cookies) | Disclaimer
© Allan Tyrer 1999-2012
Last updated 4th October 2012