Some companies and organisations have a network of staff who stammer. There may be one in your employer, or you could start one up.
Employment stammering networks can provide support and networking with other employees who stammer, and may have links to management. Often they were set up under the auspices of the BSA’s Employment Stammering Network: see Professional Networks (stamma.org).
50 million voices
Very much including the UK, 50 Million Voices is a global initiative providing leadership to help transform the world of work for people who stutter – benefiting employers and society too. Its vision is “A world where everyone who stutters can enjoy a rewarding working life and where more employers benefit from our talents and strengths”. It launched in spring 2019.
UK Civil Service Stammering Network (CSSN)
A group of civil servants from across the UK who want to champion the needs of stammerers and encourage the Civil Service to provide support throughout people’s careers, regardless of grade or department. Scroll down to Civil Service Stammering Network on Professional networks (stamma.org).
- Facebook group information and links to contacts are on the CSSN website ukcssn.com, with individual ambassadors on ukcssn.com/our-network.
NHS Stammering Network
Launched spring 2021, for NHS staff who stammer and their managers and colleagues. “We provide NHS staff with support and information on stammering, including easy access to useful resources and we offer recommendations on how to support staff who stammer in the workplace.” Includes workplace mentoring, and personal stories of NHS staff who stammer. nhsstammeringnetwork.uk
Stamma Legal – for lawyers who stammer
A friendly and welcoming network for anyone with a stammer working in or thinking about entering the legal industry. It holds regular meetings and social events throughout the year. It also hopes to raise awareness of stammering within the legal industry, including around conducting interviews, assessments and working with employees who stammer. Website: www.stammeringlegal.com.
BBC Stammering Network
Launched 10th June 2021: BBC launches staff stammering network (stamma.org).
Defence Stammering Network (Stamma Defence)
This is an internal network for stammering in the armed forces, officially recognised in UK defence policy. It is open to both military and civilian employees of UK defence. Scroll down to Stamma Defence on Professional networks (stamma.org). Further links:
- Defence Stammering Network Facebook group: www.facebook.com/UKDSN/;
- My fight To remove the ‘stammer stigma’ in the armed forces (forces.net), 2018;
- articles on archive of stammering.org on serving in the armed forces with a stammer.
Staff disability networks
Apart from stammering networks, any network for disabled staff at your employer may provide useful support, and getting involved in it can be great for raising awareness of stammering. See “Showing up and speaking out means you can have far more influence” (scottishstammeringnetwork.org), 2020.
More links on Employment Stammering Networks
- Raising awareness at EY (archive of stammering.org), 2015 – launching It’s OK to stammer posters at leading accountancy firm EY (Ernst & Young);
- DHL stammering awareness posters (archive of stammering.org), 2016 – posters by the global logistics company to raise awareness of its Stammering Network;
- STUC (Stammerers Through University Consultancy) at www.stuc-uk.org supports students and staff in higher education who stammer.