Some companies and organisations have a network of staff who stammer. There may be one in your employer, or you could start one up.
Employment stammering networks can provide support and networking with other employees who stammer, and may have links to management. Often they were set up under the auspices of the BSA’s Employment Stammering Network: see Professional Networks (stamma.org).
50 million voices
Very much including the UK, 50 Million Voices is a global initiative providing leadership to help transform the world of work for people who stutter – benefiting employers and society too. Its vision is “A world where everyone who stutters can enjoy a rewarding working life and where more employers benefit from our talents and strengths”. It launched in spring 2019.
- Practice interviews for people who stammer – 50 Millon Voices is offering these free in October 2020
- 50 Million Voices: stuttering and work.
UK Civil Service Stammering Network (CSSN)
A group of civil servants from across the UK who want to champion the needs of stammerers and encourage the Civil Service to provide support throughout people’s careers, regardless of grade or department. Scroll down to Civil Service Stammering Network on Professional networks (stamma.org).
- Facebook group information and links to contacts are on the CSSN website ukcssn.com, with individual ambassadors on ukcssn.com/our-network.
Defence Stammering Network (DSN)
This is an internal network for stammering in the armed forces, officially recognised in UK defence policy. It is open to both military and civilian employees of UK defence. Scroll down to Defence Stammering Network on Professional networks (stamma.org). Further links:
- Defence Stammering Network Facebook group: www.facebook.com/UKDSN/;
- My fight To remove the ‘stammer stigma’ in the armed forces (forces.net), 2018;
- articles on archive of stammering.org on serving in the armed forces with a stammer.
There are moves to set up a stammering network for NHS workers. Researchers were looking for NHS staff members who stammer to complete a survey (up to 31st May 2020) looking at what support you need: Questionnaire for NHS employees (stamma.org).
More links on Employment Stammering Networks
- Raising awareness at EY (archive of stammering.org), 2015 – launching It’s OK to stammer posters at leading accountancy firm EY (Ernst & Young);
- DHL stammering awareness posters (archive of stammering.org), 2016 – posters by the the global logistics company to raise awareness of its Stammering Network;
- STUC (Stammerers Through University Consultancy) at www.stuc-uk.org supports students and staff in higher education who stammer.